Saturday, November 1, 2014

How to Organize All Those Card Making Challenges

Holy schmoly! This girl is crafted out today. I spent all day long on one project, but I'm so excited to share it with you that I just couldn't wait (even though I've already posted once today)!!

I've been following a lot of card making challenge blogs. It's been so much fun to participate and even if I don't win, there is so much inspiration that it keeps me in my crafting room and constantly creating.

But the problem is, there are quite a few challenges out there that I follow, and that means when I want to go looking for inspiration on my feed I have to click, scroll down, scroll back up, click on the next blog, scroll down. Repeat until I find something that just clicks. It's also bad because sometimes I forget about challenges and remember just in time to realize they are already closed. Bummer!

 AAaaaand when I want to combine challenges, like a sketch, word, and a color challenge, then I have to have multiple tabs open and refer back to my computer during the process. 

 I really like to watch PBS specials (yes, I'm a nerd) while I craft...sooooo...kind of need my computer. I got this genius  CRAZY (I've now come to admit this) idea to create an inspiration board that helps me keep track of all the challenges.



Firstly, I went looking for some colors from one of the challenge blogs I follow and after much back and forth debating (this is going to be displayed permanently in my craft room, after all) I settled on Curtain Call's Boho Brights challenge. Who doesn't get inspired by bright and cheerful colors?



It all started with this old window that somebody was selling on a garage sale facebook site:




I gave it a thorough scrubbing and, with the help of some handsome muscle, mounted it on my craft room wall.


Next, I used some of my favorite products - Distress Inks and Stencils!
The bright DI colors are Mustard Seed, Broken China, Dusty Concord, Shabby Shutters, Spiced Marmalade, and Festive Berries


I made some day of the week blocks with tiny wooden squares and white puffy paint, to help remind me when a challenge is ending.


Next, I took some gold cord, and ran seven strips down the window and attached Tim Holtz clips. These will help hold the inspiration images. 


I made a title for my project using chipboard letters and dabbing them with DIs.
After some thought I decided to go with "Inspiration Station".


One trusty glue gun, a couple of second degree burns, and a few hours later....


I have a finished project board!! Woohooo!! It's much grander in real life.


It's so bright and beautiful! I added some flowers and bling to the window, too!


Now as the challenges are announced, I can simply print out the images and put them in the row by the day the challenge ends. I follow more challenges than this, but a lot of them were announced today and I have to print them later.


Challenges that are bi-weekly or monthly are put on the day of the week they'll be due, but they're put closer to the top and the date is written on it.


I think I'm going to be inspired for a looong time to come!

Speaking of challenges, In addition to the Curtain Call challenge, I am going to make my third and final entry to the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Blog "Anything Goes" challenge.


Hope you've all enjoyed my madness! Please follow my blog and leave a comment so that I can return the favor on your creations! 

30 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What an amazing idea!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I write everything down and then I scratch it out when I missed the challenge and add a new one:) Yours is inspiritional

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY cool. Becca! I would LOVE to have you share your talents in our weekly challenges at Word Art Wednesday. You can find us here:
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    Have a blessed week,
    Karen
    www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea really great crafting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Becca, this is one cool idea!!! I need this too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca... boho to the max! Here am I thinking that I'm the only person who prints out the challenges! HA! Really great idea...
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic project! Way to stay organized!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulour project and a great way to keep track of those challenges. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing project, Becca! What a fabulous way to keep organized & inspired! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becca - love your challenge board - i used to do projects like this out of old stuff and it's so fun to make something new from old. thanks for all the sweet comments on my cards - it's so encouraging to get feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous, Becca! I agree it is hard to keep all the challenges organized! You've created a wonderful inspiration board here and you can keep on track with the challenges - I love it! Very clever and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous creation.
    Thanks for joining in at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is such a clever idea!! I just love this!! I guess it's way better and fun and more creative than my following them on Feedly and writing them down on my notebook! LOL! I just go back in forth in my notebook and do the ones that fit with what I created. I follow TONS of challenges as well! If it weren't for the inspiration from them, I don't know how much I'd create! Isn't that sad?!! LOL!!
    Thanks for sharing! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh em gee this planning...board...window..thing is so cool! I also always miss the deadlines, this is so usefull! Love it! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Becca, FANTABULOUS! I love your inspiration station. Such a GENIUS and eye catching way to keep track of the challenges. Your board is inspiring...I would so totally case your idea if I had any wall space left!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my Godnes...I wanna say also FANTABULOUS...you are lucky get a garage sale with that window
    you are lucky having a printer colorfull (I have only black and white)
    and you are soooo dilligent to do this my dear friend...
    I always go here if you wanna know... http://paperplayful.blogspot.de/

    She collect all the challenge and posting at the day..example Monday challenge..also monday Winner..
    But you should do like you like..and you made a masterpiece and cool things at your home..
    Lovely idea my friend
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!!! This is FANTASTIC!! How cool is that window? I need to get me one of these. I have the same problem with the challenges, though I have not been doing any entering as of late. I love your fun idea of an inspiration board to keep track. Thank you for this fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are way too organized, girl! Fabulous project, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!! This is awesome!!! what a fabulous idea!!! Going to share it on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/jennshurkus.artist

    ReplyDelete
  20. That, my dear, is inspired! Thanks so much for the tutorial, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, that is freaking genius!! Not only beautiful & funky, but so damn useful. And ow. I gotta say I'm glad I'm not the only glue-gun burn victim ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow This is way too cool :) love love love the fab idea !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Becca, in the card exchange I am going to Mauritius in Africa...the Indian Ocean...I thought I would stay in United States but will travel far far away!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooh, this is a stunning project, Becca! I absolutely love how you've repurposed the window and made it into something not only fabulous and inspirational to look at, but really functional as well. I'm too lazy (and tight) to print so I stick all my challenges into the calendar on my computer/iPad with the URL and have it on a month to view.
    And your comment on my Birthday Brights did amuse me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. SUPER cool!!! I sometimes print out the challenges too...so I dont accidentally forget a color on a color challenge, I usually forget a key color...COOL Project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous project. I too have a really tough time keeping track of challenges.Hope this works well for ya. And congrats on your shout out at Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This truly is genius, Becca! And it truly is a Showstopper!! Congratulations for the recognition from Curtain Call!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on your win at Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete